2 B Friends
2 B Friends: GROW Into All the World
SpeakerDwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
More In This Series
“2 B Friends: GROW Into all the World”
□ Acts 14
F. F. Bruce, Paul: Apostle of the Heart Set Free: “Whatever his physical disabilities were,
Paul had an extraordinarily tough and resilient constitution and remarkable staying-power: ‘often knocked down but never knocked out’ (as his words in 2 Corinthians 4:9 have been paraphrased).” (171)
- Acts of the Apostles: “What was their surprise when in the midst of their lamentations the apostle suddenly lifted up his head and rose to his feet with the praise of God upon his lips. To the believers this unexpected restoration of God’s servant was regarded as a miracle of divine power and seemed to set the signet of Heaven upon their change of belief. They rejoiced with inexpressible gladness and praised God with renewed faith.” (184)
- F. F. Bruce, Paul: Apostle of the Heart Set Free: “Whatever his physical disabilities were,
□ Acts 14:21
“When they had preached the gospel to that city made many disciples, they
We think that the Gospel Commission is one action—when in fact it is : “preach
the gospel” and “.”
- No wonder they call “The Great Commission” “The Great .”
- We think that the Gospel Commission is one action—when in fact it is : “preach
Jesus’ command—“Go and make disciples of all the nations”—uses the very same
Greek word (matheteuo) as Acts does in describing what Paul and Barnabas did—they
“made many disciples.”
Clearly what Jesus commands us to do He us to do:
- Disciples new disciples is the heart of the Great Commission.
- Jesus’ command—“Go and make disciples of all the nations”—uses the very same
- Jesus’ Four Disciple-Making Ingredients (David Buehring, The Jesus Blueprint: Rediscovering His Original Plan for Changing the World)
- “When they had preached the gospel to that city made many disciples, they
#1—A Commitment to
o Disciple-making in the third millennium by definition challenges postmodern and declares that Truth is embodied in one Being who is the only credible Master to follow.
#2—A Context of
o David Buehring: “Disciple-making takes place in the context of .” (55)
#3—A Culture of
o David Buehring: “Following Jesus actually means Jesus.” (56) o David Buehring: “Obedience begins when we do what the Scriptures say and continues as we obey the promptings of the Holy Spirit in the midst of everyday life. Sometimes, obedience requires us to hurdle our own and step outside of our . There are times when we’ll miss it and we’ll need to humbly acknowledge it, while learning for next time. When we get it right and lives are impacted—wow, talk about growing and being encouraged!” (57)
#4—A Charge to
o A. W. Tozer: “Only a disciple can make a .”
o David Buehring: “Jesus intended for the kingdom of God to be advanced through disciples disciples.” (59)
To join a GROW Group please go to www.pmchurch.org/growgroup
“Following Jesus actually means following Jesus.”
Are you friendly and do you enjoy social media? Then, we have a great opportunity for you to be involved in ministry. Through streaming its services on Facebook Live and our website, Pioneer Memorial Church reaches thousands of people every single week. We’re looking to build a new team of local moderators/hosts for our online chat experiences. You could do this from your home. For more information contact Rodlie Ortiz at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Over the summer and fall of 2019 Pioneer underwent significant physical renovation—including a new roof and a major Sanctuary makeover. During the same time congregation leaders engaged in multiple conversations about our missional renovation—how does a faith community like Pioneer seriously engage and impact the people around us for Christ? From this dialogue emerged a fresh new expression of our Pioneer mission: "Love on the Move."