Pioneer’s summer renovation project is underway. Sabbath services will meet at Howard Performing Arts Center. Please note the Sanctuary is now closed to the general public. For updates and safety information please visit https://www.pmchurch.org/renovate/updates.
To purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD OnlineBuy series
Dwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
• #1—Persecution is the expected modus operandi of the devil (“evil”
with a “d”) in his “great controversy” warfare to the divine allies and exiles on earth.
• 2 Timothy 3:12—“In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be .”
• #2—Trials and tribulations character and dependency
• John 16:33—“‘I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have peace. In this world you will have . But take heart! I have the world.’”
• 1 Peter 4:12-13—“Dear friends, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal that has come on you to you [as gold purified in the fire—1:6-7], as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice inasmuch as you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed.”
• #3—Persecution keeps the line of demarcation between the exiles and the culture of the captor .
• Walter Brueggemann: “The great problem for exiles is cultural . The primary threat to those ancient Jews was that members of the community would decide that Jewishness was too demanding, or too dangerous, or too costly, and simply accept Babylonian definitions and modes of reality.” (Cadences of Home: Preaching among Exiles 41)
• Lee Beach: “While integration with culture is necessary, to it in all aspects is not.” (The Church in Exile: Living in Hope After Christendom 89)
• #4—Persecution actually the Kingdom of God on earth!
• Esther 8:17—“And many people of other nationalities became because fear of the Jews had seized them.”
• Daniel and Nebuchadnezzar’s dream—the king at Daniel’s feet in obeisance to Daniel’s God (Daniel 2:46).
• Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego and Nebuchadnezzar’s image—the king their God above all other gods (Daniel 3:29).
• Daniel and Nebuchadnezzar after his insanity—“I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise and exalt and the King of heaven, because everything he does is right” (Daniel 4:37).
• Daniel and Darius the Great—“I issue a decree that in every part of my kingdom people must fear and reverence the God of .” (Daniel 6:26)
• Tertullian: “The blood of Christians is .”
• Frederick Dale Bruner: “In Matthean and biblical teaching the tribulation of the latter days is a Christian experience and ‘runs from the first advent to the second.’ We’re in it! . . . The tribulation of persecution is the essence of Christian . . . . A winnowed, persecuted, purged, minority church—paradoxically,
(Matthew: A Commentary 2:483-484, 292)
• Acts 8:1, 4—“On that day a great persecution broke out against the church in Jerusalem, and all except the apostles were throughout Judea and Samaria. . . . Those who had been scattered preached the word wherever they went.”
• Ellen White: “The two armies [faith communities] will stand distinct and separate, and this distinction will be so marked that many who shall be convinced of truth will come on the side of God’s commandment-keeping people. When this grand work is to take place in the battle, . . . many will be imprisoned, many will flee for their lives from cities and towns, and many will be for Christ’s sake in standing in defense of the truth.” (Maranatha 199)
• Jesus: “Remember what I told you: ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted Me, they will persecute also.”
• Dietrich Bonhoeffer: “When Christ calls a man, he bids him come and .” (Cost of Discipleship 99)
• Frederick Dale Brunner: “Though the church is winnowed down, betrayed, arrested, and martyred, nevertheless, like the betrayed, arrested, and executed Jesus himself, it experiences resurrection after crucifixion. The slaughtered lamb becomes a lion!” (492)
If persecution grows the Kingdom—
Hymn Sing at the Old Rugged Cross Church
You are invited to join a hymn-sing at The Old Rugged Cross Church. We’ll be singing your favorites from the Church Hymnal, an old Adventist hymnbook. If you have one or more copies of the Church Hymnal, please bring them along to
share with others. A tour of the historic site will follow immediately after the hymn-sing. For more information, contact Melchizedek Ponniah (269.876.7476 or email@example.com).
July 27, 4:30 – 5:30 PM
Location: The Old Rugged Cross Church, 6104 Vermont Street, Pokagon, MI
Andrews Academy Enrolling Students Grade 9-12
Andrews Academy is now enrolling students in grades 9 - 12 for the 2019/2020 school year. We invite you to join the AA family. You will be blessed by what Andrews Academy has to offer. Students consistently score above state and national levels on their ACTs, they are involved in many spiritual and service activities throughout the school year. AA's school mission it to inspire our students to think deeply, live fully, serve unselfishly and to honor God completely. Call AA at 269.471.3138 for more information or
visit www.andrews.edu/aa and click on "apply today." School begins August 19th, check-in day is Aug. 7. Financial packages are available.
WithOut A, B And O, We CAn't SAve AnybOdy
Andrews University, Pioneer Memorial Church, and the American Red Cross will sponsor a Blood Drive. Visit www.redcrossblood.org (sponsor code: AndrewsUniversity) for information or to schedule an appointment. You can also call 800-REDCROSS or email Larry Ulery, firstname.lastname@example.org. Appointments are suggested by walk-ins are welcome. Summertime is always challenging for getting enough donors, so we look forward to your support in advance.
July 30, 11:00 AM - 4:45 PM
Location: PMC Commons
The Health Tent
Once again we are blessed to have the chance to share in a fun and festive way healthy living info with those who visit the Health Tent at the Berrien County Youth Fair. We have the great line-up of activities for our visitors, and you and your friends/family can sign up to be part of it. Check out what we'll be doing at our website, www.HealthTent.org. On this website, you also be able to register as a volunteer and then pick which 3-hour shift you'd like to take. (If you volunteer during the Sabbath hours, you'll receive a free day pass.) We'll have training sessions in August. You'll also pick up you staff polo shirt if you don't already have one from previous years. Join us and be a blessing and receive a blessing!
BCFAN Resource Fair
God's Hands 4 Kids is part of the Berrien County Foster Adoption Network. BCFAN will be providing the third annual Resource Fair for Foster, Kinship and Adoptive families on July 25. All foster and adoptive families are invited and encouraged to attend. Plus
we are looking for donations of summer fun things kids attending the fair will be able to choose from at the GH4K table and then take home and enjoy. Also accepting cans of vegetarian hot dogs to be able to offer an alternative to the hot dogs being provided. Drop off locations for donations - lower level PMC, RMES Office, Thrive Psychology, St. Joe. For further information and suggestions go to www.GH4K.org.
WithOut A, B, And O, We CAn't SAve AnybOdy. Give the Gift of Life!
AU, PMC and the American Red Cross will sponsor a Blood Drive in July. Visit www.redcrossblood.org (sponsor code: AndrewsUniversity) for information or to schedule your appointment. You may also schedule by calling 800-RED-CROSS, or Larry Ulery, email@example.com Appointments suggested but walk-ins are welcome. Summertime is always a challenge for getting enough donors.
July 30, 11:00 AM - 4:45 PM
Location: PMC Commons
Adventist Forum Conference
Though summer hasn’t officially arrived and Labor Day may seem far away, we urge you to SAVE THE DATES for our 2019 annual Adventist Forum Conference: August 30-September 1 in Orlando, Florida on the campus of AdventHealth University.
Guided by the theme of Identities: Within and Beyond the Borders of Adventism, we are looking forward to being together for a weekend which will stretch our minds and hearts, posing valuable questions and probing essential aspects of numerous identities. Here is a peek at current line-up of presenters and facilitators:
Gerald Winslow--always a terrific speaker and a key voice of reason within the church on tough issues like abortion, homosexuality and transsexuals
Edwin Hernandez--president of AdventHealth University and renowned researcher who has written a history of Hispanic Adventis
Michael Nixon--vice president for diversity at Andrews University, he will bring a panel of students to talk about how their Adventism impacts their lives
Vanessa Corredera--Shakespearan scholar now at Andrews University whose research explores issues of Otherness and diversity, particularly the intersection and representation of gender and class in contemporary Shakespearean adaptations and appropriations.
Miquel Mendez--one of the associate pastors from the Loma Linda University Church who is a terrific speaker in the tradition of Randy Roberts
Nick Zork--worship musician extraordinaire
Daniela Jean--Alex Carpenter did a podcast with her posted May 16, 2019. She is originally from Haiti, now lives in Miami and regularly hosts a JAVA event for SDAs in the Miami area where poetry, music, and food provide for an entertaining evening. She has won several regional “under forty” awards and was a 2018 EBONY magazine POWER 100 people’s choice nominee. She will be hosting our Saturday night program.
Having representatives from each Chapter participating in our conference conversations and fellowship would be superb. Keep in mind that there is a reduced fee for Early Bird Registration, so keep an eye out for details regarding discounted hotel rates as well as conference registration options.
Would love to see you soon in Orlando!
August 30 - September 1
Location: Orlando Florida
PMC Prayer Ministry Team Seeking New Members
Please join our PMC Prayer Ministry Team by volunteering to pray with us during 1st or 2nd service on available Sabbaths. We need you to help us intensify and grow this ministry. For more information contact Andrea Gibbs.