Pioneer’s summer renovation project is underway. Sabbath services will meet at Howard Performing Arts Center. Please note the Sanctuary is now closed to the general public. For updates and safety information please visit https://www.pmchurch.org/renovate/updates.
To purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD Online
Dwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
• The promise: You will sit with Me on My one day.
• The condition: You must first today.
• Sigve Tonstad: “Awareness of conflict changes the way we construe victory and defeat. While Jesus makes promises ‘to everyone who conquers,’ with no object in the sentence, the tenor of conflict is better preserved if we translate it ‘to everyone who overcomes .’ It is not wrong to say that the believers ‘overcome’ or ‘conquer,’ but it is implied throughout that they are engaged in a .”
• Revelation 12:7-9, 12, 17
• “If the curtain could be rolled back, and each one could discern the constant activities of the heavenly family to preserve the inhabitants of the earth from Satan’s seductive
wiles, . . . [t]hey would see that the armies of heaven are in continual warfare with satanic agencies, to obtain victories in behalf of those who do not sense their danger, and who are passing on in unconscious indifference. Angels are belting the world, refusing Satan his claims to supremacy. . . . We hear not the voices, we see not with the natural sight the work of these angels, but their hands are linked about the world, and with sleepless vigilance they are keeping the armies of Satan at bay.” (In Heavenly Places 98)
• “To the one who overcomes as I .”
• John 16:33— “‘In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have the world!’”
» Why don’t more Christians live victorious lives?
• Reason #1—We do not fully appreciate the sinfulness of .
• Vaughn Allen: “We do not realize how utterly detestable sin is; we do not comprehend how contrary sin is to God’s character and how terribly offensive it is to Him. We have lived with sin and its results so long and toyed with it so much that for us it has lost much of its horror and repugnance.” (The War Is Real: And So Is the Victory 71)
• Steps to Christ: “We shall not renounce sin unless we see its .” (23)
• Vaughn Allen: “The absolute horror of sin can be seen only when we look at the . It would be well for us each day to pray that God would give us a genuine abhorrence of sin and a for it because of what it did to the Son of God and because of what it does to us.” (71)
• Reason #2—We are not convinced that sin is possible in this life.
• Great Controversy: “If those who hide and excuse their faults could see how Satan exults over them, how he taunts Christ and holy angels with their course, they would make haste to confess their sins and to put them away. Through defects in the character, Satan works to gain control of the whole mind, and he knows that if these defects are cherished, he will succeed. Therefore he is constantly seeking to deceive the followers of Christ with his sophistry that it is impossible for them to overcome.” (489)
• Signs of the Times: “Without Christ we cannot subdue a single sin or overcome the smallest temptation.” (August 10, 1891)
• Jesus: “‘Without Me you can do nothing.’” John 15:5
• Philippians 4:13—“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”
• Jude 24—“Now to Him who is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of His glory with exceeding joy.
• Selected Messages: “He who has not sufficient faith in Christ to believe that He can keep him from , has not the faith that will give him an entrance into the kingdom of God.” (3:360)
• 1 John 2:1, 13-14; 5:3-4
• Revelation 3:20
• Before Jesus commands Laodicea to “ ” the devil, He invites us to “ ” the door.
• Selected Messages: “John pointed the people to the Lamb of God who taketh away the sins of the world. He said, ‘Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.’ There is a great deal in that ‘taketh away.’ The question is, Shall we keep on sinning as though it were an impossibility for us to overcome? How are we to overcome? As Christ overcame, and that is the only way. He prayed to His heavenly Father. We can do the same....When tempted to speak wrong and do wrong resist Satan and say, I will not surrender my will to your control. I will cooperate with divine power and through grace be conqueror.” (3:195)
“Faith is the Victory”
Hymn Sing at the Old Rugged Cross Church
You are invited to join a hymn-sing at The Old Rugged Cross Church. We’ll be singing your favorites from the Church Hymnal, an old Adventist hymnbook. If you have one or more copies of the Church Hymnal, please bring them along to
share with others. A tour of the historic site will follow immediately after the hymn-sing. For more information, contact Melchizedek Ponniah (269.876.7476 or firstname.lastname@example.org).
July 27, 4:30 – 5:30 PM
Location: The Old Rugged Cross Church, 6104 Vermont Street, Pokagon, MI
Andrews Academy Enrolling Students Grade 9-12
Andrews Academy is now enrolling students in grades 9 - 12 for the 2019/2020 school year. We invite you to join the AA family. You will be blessed by what Andrews Academy has to offer. Students consistently score above state and national levels on their ACTs, they are involved in many spiritual and service activities throughout the school year. AA's school mission it to inspire our students to think deeply, live fully, serve unselfishly and to honor God completely. Call AA at 269.471.3138 for more information or
visit www.andrews.edu/aa and click on "apply today." School begins August 19th, check-in day is Aug. 7. Financial packages are available.
WithOut A, B And O, We CAn't SAve AnybOdy
Andrews University, Pioneer Memorial Church, and the American Red Cross will sponsor a Blood Drive. Visit www.redcrossblood.org (sponsor code: AndrewsUniversity) for information or to schedule an appointment. You can also call 800-REDCROSS or email Larry Ulery, email@example.com. Appointments are suggested by walk-ins are welcome. Summertime is always challenging for getting enough donors, so we look forward to your support in advance.
July 30, 11:00 AM - 4:45 PM
Location: PMC Commons
The Health Tent
Once again we are blessed to have the chance to share in a fun and festive way healthy living info with those who visit the Health Tent at the Berrien County Youth Fair. We have the great line-up of activities for our visitors, and you and your friends/family can sign up to be part of it. Check out what we'll be doing at our website, www.HealthTent.org. On this website, you also be able to register as a volunteer and then pick which 3-hour shift you'd like to take. (If you volunteer during the Sabbath hours, you'll receive a free day pass.) We'll have training sessions in August. You'll also pick up you staff polo shirt if you don't already have one from previous years. Join us and be a blessing and receive a blessing!
BCFAN Resource Fair
God's Hands 4 Kids is part of the Berrien County Foster Adoption Network. BCFAN will be providing the third annual Resource Fair for Foster, Kinship and Adoptive families on July 25. All foster and adoptive families are invited and encouraged to attend. Plus
we are looking for donations of summer fun things kids attending the fair will be able to choose from at the GH4K table and then take home and enjoy. Also accepting cans of vegetarian hot dogs to be able to offer an alternative to the hot dogs being provided. Drop off locations for donations - lower level PMC, RMES Office, Thrive Psychology, St. Joe. For further information and suggestions go to www.GH4K.org.
WithOut A, B, And O, We CAn't SAve AnybOdy. Give the Gift of Life!
AU, PMC and the American Red Cross will sponsor a Blood Drive in July. Visit www.redcrossblood.org (sponsor code: AndrewsUniversity) for information or to schedule your appointment. You may also schedule by calling 800-RED-CROSS, or Larry Ulery, firstname.lastname@example.org Appointments suggested but walk-ins are welcome. Summertime is always a challenge for getting enough donors.
July 30, 11:00 AM - 4:45 PM
Location: PMC Commons
Adventist Forum Conference
Though summer hasn’t officially arrived and Labor Day may seem far away, we urge you to SAVE THE DATES for our 2019 annual Adventist Forum Conference: August 30-September 1 in Orlando, Florida on the campus of AdventHealth University.
Guided by the theme of Identities: Within and Beyond the Borders of Adventism, we are looking forward to being together for a weekend which will stretch our minds and hearts, posing valuable questions and probing essential aspects of numerous identities. Here is a peek at current line-up of presenters and facilitators:
Gerald Winslow--always a terrific speaker and a key voice of reason within the church on tough issues like abortion, homosexuality and transsexuals
Edwin Hernandez--president of AdventHealth University and renowned researcher who has written a history of Hispanic Adventis
Michael Nixon--vice president for diversity at Andrews University, he will bring a panel of students to talk about how their Adventism impacts their lives
Vanessa Corredera--Shakespearan scholar now at Andrews University whose research explores issues of Otherness and diversity, particularly the intersection and representation of gender and class in contemporary Shakespearean adaptations and appropriations.
Miquel Mendez--one of the associate pastors from the Loma Linda University Church who is a terrific speaker in the tradition of Randy Roberts
Nick Zork--worship musician extraordinaire
Daniela Jean--Alex Carpenter did a podcast with her posted May 16, 2019. She is originally from Haiti, now lives in Miami and regularly hosts a JAVA event for SDAs in the Miami area where poetry, music, and food provide for an entertaining evening. She has won several regional “under forty” awards and was a 2018 EBONY magazine POWER 100 people’s choice nominee. She will be hosting our Saturday night program.
Having representatives from each Chapter participating in our conference conversations and fellowship would be superb. Keep in mind that there is a reduced fee for Early Bird Registration, so keep an eye out for details regarding discounted hotel rates as well as conference registration options.
Would love to see you soon in Orlando!
August 30 - September 1
Location: Orlando Florida
PMC Prayer Ministry Team Seeking New Members
Please join our PMC Prayer Ministry Team by volunteering to pray with us during 1st or 2nd service on available Sabbaths. We need you to help us intensify and grow this ministry. For more information contact Andrea Gibbs.