The Tai Chi class that meets in the James White Library on Wednesdays at 4:30 will be suspended until April 16. It will resume on April 17.
The Last Letter
Game of Thrones, Crown of Thorns—1
SpeakerDwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
More In This Series
“The Last Letter: Game of Thrones,
Crown of Thorns—1”
» Revelation 3:21
• The promise: You will sit with Me on My one day.
• The condition: You must first today.
• Sigve Tonstad: “Awareness of conflict changes the way we construe victory and defeat. While Jesus makes promises ‘to everyone who conquers,’ with no object in the sentence, the tenor of conflict is better preserved if we translate it ‘to everyone who overcomes .’ It is not wrong to say that the believers ‘overcome’ or ‘conquer,’ but it is implied throughout that they are engaged in a .”
• Revelation 12:7-9, 12, 17
• “If the curtain could be rolled back, and each one could discern the constant activities of the heavenly family to preserve the inhabitants of the earth from Satan’s seductive
wiles, . . . [t]hey would see that the armies of heaven are in continual warfare with satanic agencies, to obtain victories in behalf of those who do not sense their danger, and who are passing on in unconscious indifference. Angels are belting the world, refusing Satan his claims to supremacy. . . . We hear not the voices, we see not with the natural sight the work of these angels, but their hands are linked about the world, and with sleepless vigilance they are keeping the armies of Satan at bay.” (In Heavenly Places 98)
• “To the one who overcomes as I .”
• John 16:33— “‘In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have the world!’”
» Why don’t more Christians live victorious lives?
• Reason #1—We do not fully appreciate the sinfulness of .
• Vaughn Allen: “We do not realize how utterly detestable sin is; we do not comprehend how contrary sin is to God’s character and how terribly offensive it is to Him. We have lived with sin and its results so long and toyed with it so much that for us it has lost much of its horror and repugnance.” (The War Is Real: And So Is the Victory 71)
• Steps to Christ: “We shall not renounce sin unless we see its .” (23)
• Vaughn Allen: “The absolute horror of sin can be seen only when we look at the . It would be well for us each day to pray that God would give us a genuine abhorrence of sin and a for it because of what it did to the Son of God and because of what it does to us.” (71)
• Reason #2—We are not convinced that sin is possible in this life.
• Great Controversy: “If those who hide and excuse their faults could see how Satan exults over them, how he taunts Christ and holy angels with their course, they would make haste to confess their sins and to put them away. Through defects in the character, Satan works to gain control of the whole mind, and he knows that if these defects are cherished, he will succeed. Therefore he is constantly seeking to deceive the followers of Christ with his sophistry that it is impossible for them to overcome.” (489)
• Signs of the Times: “Without Christ we cannot subdue a single sin or overcome the smallest temptation.” (August 10, 1891)
• Jesus: “‘Without Me you can do nothing.’” John 15:5
• Philippians 4:13—“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”
• Jude 24—“Now to Him who is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of His glory with exceeding joy.
• Selected Messages: “He who has not sufficient faith in Christ to believe that He can keep him from , has not the faith that will give him an entrance into the kingdom of God.” (3:360)
• 1 John 2:1, 13-14; 5:3-4
• Revelation 3:20
• Before Jesus commands Laodicea to “ ” the devil, He invites us to “ ” the door.
• Selected Messages: “John pointed the people to the Lamb of God who taketh away the sins of the world. He said, ‘Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.’ There is a great deal in that ‘taketh away.’ The question is, Shall we keep on sinning as though it were an impossibility for us to overcome? How are we to overcome? As Christ overcame, and that is the only way. He prayed to His heavenly Father. We can do the same....When tempted to speak wrong and do wrong resist Satan and say, I will not surrender my will to your control. I will cooperate with divine power and through grace be conqueror.” (3:195)
“Faith is the Victory”
Pioneer Memorial Church is pleased to announce the beginning of its renovation project! You will soon start to see construction traffic and work being done to our roof. Our goal is to complete the project by the start of the fall school semester. In order to accomplish this our timeline needed to be adjusted. Starting Monday, March 25, scaffolding will begin to be assembled on the north and south sides of the church. Roof work will begin on or around April 1 along with adjustments to interior lighting. For your safety, please observe all posted signage related to construction areas. For the most updated information regarding construction, safety, and use of the church, please go to www.pmchurch.org/renovate/updates . If your question isn’t answered there, you may also email email@example.com or call the church office at (269)471-3133.
University Wellness will be having its 4th Annual Wellness Fest right after Spring Break! (March 25 - 29) You will not want to miss it! It will be a week packed with activities such as therapy dogs, pop-up food booths, pop-up workouts, a fit flash, a plank challenge and so much more! Be a part of making Andrews the healthiest University in the world!
This event is one of the highlights of the year for our campus and community. Each year we have about 5000 or more visitors who attend. There will be about 20 international clubs and organizations participating as vendors, and there will be a large variety of food. Purchase your tickets for food at the entrance of the Johnson Gymnasium. Come experience the celebration of food from around the world.
March 31, 12:00 - 7:00 PM
Location: Johnson Gym
Tickets are now available at the Howard Center Box Office or online. Free Admission but tickets are required. The United States Air Force Band of Mid-America Concert Band represents the professionalism and excellence found every day throughout the Air Force. This diverse, 45-piece ensemble's repertoire ranges from symphonic band masterworks to traditional marches, to modern compositions, to pops and jazz. During a concert, you are likely to hear stirring works from contemporary composers as well as the familiar sounds of John Philip Sousa or Major Glenn Miller. The band also features a talented vocal soloist, performing a wide variety of popular, classical and patriotic selections.
April 8, 7:00 PM
Location: Howard Performing Arts Center
Experience the thrilling story of Jesus—a staged storytelling of the entire Gospel of Mark returns to South Bend. Save the date and invite your friends and family to experience Jesus. Free admission. It will be held at South Bend First SDA Church, 1936 Altgeld Street, South Bend, IN.
April 13, 5:00 PM
Location: South Bend First SDA Church
Ten years ago Sidewalk Prophets released their first album "These Simple Truths." The songs from that album have dramatically impacted their ministry and their lives resulting in their ability to travel the world, meet amazing people, and hear powerful stories. They have been able to see Christ at work in so many ways. Today, Sidewalk Prophets wants to take those miles on the road and the stories they have heard and compiled and share them with you. Sidewalk Prophets is bringing their "These Simple Truths Tour" to Berrien Springs, Michigan. Help us spread the word! It is going to be an incredible experience!
April 28, 7:00 PM
Location: Howard Performing Arts Center
The Pioneer Traffic Team is in need of volunteers to commit one Sabbath a month to help with the flow of traffic during Sabbath services. If interested or for more information, call or text (732) 379-1300.
Kindergarten Parent Night at RMES
Come meet Mrs. Curnutt and check out the developmental, hands-on program. Get a $50 coupon for tuition credit. Enjoy refreshments & meet other parents.
April 2, 6:30 - 7:30 p.m.
Location: Ruth Murdoch Elementary School
Kindergarten Visitor's Day at RMES
There will be singing & worship, crafts & stories, P.E. & music classes, play in some of 20+ centers and have outdoor play time.
April 3, 8:15 - 11:30 AM
Location: Ruth Murdoch Elementary School
Call (269) 471-3225 to register.
We need an individual willing to volunteer 8-10 hours per week to keep the WIN! Wellness web site updated. If you are interested or need to ask questions, please contact Candice at the email provided. Please make application to John Youngberg and Candice Hollingsead at the following email address. Tell us why you are interested and what skills you can bring to the task.
Contact: Candice Hollingsead - firstname.lastname@example.org