Pioneer’s summer renovation project is underway. Sabbath services will meet at Howard Performing Arts Center. Please note the Sanctuary is now closed to the general public. For updates and safety information please visit https://www.pmchurch.org/renovate/updates.
To purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD Online
Dwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
• Ranko Stefanovic: “Because of its favorable location on the system of Roman roads, the city became one of the greatest commercial and financial centers of the ancient world.” (Revelation of Jesus Christ 144)
• Parallel #2—
• Parallel #3—
• Parallel #4—
• Roy Allen Anderson: “Valuable wool was produced in the valley, soft in texture, glossy black in color, but tinged as it were with violet. Black garments were worn almost exclusively by the Laodiceans as evidence of their wealth.” (Unfolding the Revelation 42)
• Parallel #5—
• Parallel #6—
• Jacques Doukhan: “Their mentality is but the symptom of a civilization that prides itself in its secularism and humanism while excluding God. . . . The human has usurped the divine on all levels.” (Secrets of Revelation 46)
• Parallel #7—
• Greek—”a people judged”
•Ellen White: “The Lord has done more for the United States than for any other country upon which the sun shines. . . . Here Christianity has progressed in its purity. . . . But the enemy of all righteousness has designs upon God’s purpose for this country. He will bring in enterprises that will lead men to forget that there is a God. Worldliness and covetousness, which is idolatry, will prevail through the working of the archdeceiver, till the law of God, in all its bearings, shall be made void.” (Maranatha 193)
• James Warren: “[Roger] Williams disavowed the Puritan’s cherished belief that their Holy Commonwealths were in a special covenant with God. There was no ‘chosen nation’ in the seventeenth century, nor had there been once since Moses’ Israel. Williams believed . . . that ‘since the coming of Christ the only way God had contracted with men . . . was through the churches of Christ. . . . Nobody of men who now employed force in defense of religion, whether at home or abroad, could claim the name Christian.’” (God, War and Providence 70-71)
• America is a Christian nation.
• Martin Luther King, Jr: “The church must be reminded that it is not the master or the servant of the state, but rather the of the state.”
• Jonathan Walton: “‘Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness’ are promised by America and God. But they are not the same in origin, practice, or motive. The goals and intentions of the Declaration of Independence sit in opposition to the gospel of Christ. The totality of Scripture does not endorse the marriage of God and country or the establishment, development, or practices of any country in the name of Jesus.” (Twelve Lies That Hold America Captive: And the Truth That Sets Us Free 18)
»So what hope is there for this nation?
•Revelation 14:6-7—”And I saw another angel flying in midheaven, having an eternal gospel to preach to those who live on the earth, and to every nation and tribe and tongue and people; and he said with a loud voice, ‘Fear God, and give Him glory, because the hour of His judgment has come; worship Him who made the heaven and the earth and sea and springs of waters.’”
• Acts 4:12—”’Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved [than the name of Jesus].”
• John 4:42—”They said to the woman, ‘We no longer believe just because of what you said; now we have heard for ourselves, and we know that this Man really is the Savior of the world.’”
• Jon Meacham: “‘A bold President who knew himself to be supported by a majority in the country, might be tempted to override the law, and deprive the minority of the protection which the law affords it,’ [James] Bryce wrote. ‘He might be a tyrant, not against the masses, but with the masses.’” (The Soul of America: The Battle for Our Better Angels 271)
• America’s thought leaders need Liberty.
God save America—and let me help You!
Hymn Sing at the Old Rugged Cross Church
You are invited to join a hymn-sing at The Old Rugged Cross Church. We’ll be singing your favorites from the Church Hymnal, an old Adventist hymnbook. If you have one or more copies of the Church Hymnal, please bring them along to share with others. A tour of the historic site will follow immediately after the hymn-sing. For more information, contact Melchizedek Ponniah.
June 29, 4:30 - 5:30 PM
Location: 6104 Vermont Street, Pokagon, MI
Contact: Melchizedek Ponniah (269) 876-7476 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Ruth Murdoch Rummage Sale
House or garage bursting at hte seams? Ruth Murdoch Elementary School will be accepting unwanted items for their annual Rummage Sale. Items accepted include anything from clothing to applicances, decorations to furniture, and everything in between! You donate. They sell it. All proceeds benefit the school.
Drop-off Dates: June 3 - July 2, 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM
Location: 8885 Garland Ave., Berrien Springs, MI
Sale Dates: July 11, 12, 14, 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM
Location: 8885 Garland Ave., Berrien Springs, MI
PMC Prayer Ministry Team Seeking New Members
Please join our PMC Prayer Ministry Team by volunteering to pray with us during 1st or 2nd service on available Sabbaths. We need you to help us intensify and grow this ministry. For more information contact Andrea Gibbs.
The annual Signs of the Times campaign has begun and continues through the month of May. Signs of the Times was first published in June, 1874, and celebrates its 145th birthday this June. Signs of the Times is a monthly magazine that encourages readers to lead joyful Christian lives as they await the soon return of Jesus. For more information about Signs of the Times, visit www.signstimes.com.