Adult Sabbath School teachers, you may pick up next quarters Sabbath School lesson quarterly for your class at the lower level Welcome Center beginning today. If you are a member of PMC and not a member of a Sabbath School class, you may pick up no more than two quarterlies. Please complete the sign-out sheet if you are not a class member.
2017 Holiday Season
Have Yourself a Windy Merry Christmas
DVDsTo purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD Online
SpeakerDwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and one granddaughter.
More In This Series
“Have Yourself a Windy Merry Christmas”
- The Missing Person
- John D. Witvliet": "Our Christmas cards, carols, and crèches delight in the characters of the Christmas story. In pageants, there are a lot of parts to go around: Mary, Joseph, and the baby Jesus; the angels, the shepherds, and Magi; perhaps even Elizabeth and Zechariah, Simeon and Anna. But for all the times and ways the story is told, one key participant is almost impossible to find: the ." (Christianity Today December 2017 p58)
- Missing No Longer
The Holy Spirit Shows Up . . .
- #1—In .
- Luke 1:15—"'Your son will be filled with the even before he is born.'"
- Desire of Ages: "Even the babe in its mother’s arms may dwell as under the shadow of the Almighty through the faith of the praying mother. John the Baptist was filled with the Holy Spirit from his birth. If we will live in communion with God, we too may expect the divine Spirit to mold our little ones, even from their moments." (512)
- #2—In a .
- Luke 1:35—"'The will come on you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God.'"
- #3 —In an .
- Luke 1:41—"When Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the ."
- Luke 1:67—"His father Zechariah was filled with the and prophesied, 'Praise be to the Lord!'"
- #4—In a .
- Luke 1:80—"And the child grew and became strong in the ."
- “[The Holy] Spirit loves to the children and discover to them the treasures and beauties of the Word. The promises spoken by the great Teacher will captivate the senses and animate the soul of the child with a spiritual power that is divine.” (Child Guidance 495)
- Jean Twenge: “. . . many tech CEOs strictly regulate their own children’s technology use. When New York Times reporter Nick Bilton talked to Apple cofounder and CEO Steve Jobs in late 2010, he asked Jobs if his kids loved the iPad. 'They haven’t used it,' Jobs said. 'We how much technology our kids use at home.' Bilton was shocked, but he later found that many other tech experts also limited their children’s screen time, from the cofounder of Twitter to the former editor of Wired magazine. So even people who love technology—and make a living off of it—are cautious about their kids using it too much. As Adam Alter put it in his book Irresistible, ''t seemed as if the people producing tech products were following the cardinal rule of drug dealing: Never get high on your own supply." (iGen 292)
- #5—In the .
- Luke 2:25-26—"Simeon was waiting for the consolation of Israel, and the was on him. It had been revealed to him by the that he would not die before he had seen the Lord’s Messiah. Moved by the he went into the temple courts... and took the child in his arms and praised God."
- Christmas primer on how to be daily baptized with the Holy Spirit:
- #1—The Set-up:
- 15 minutes every morning—alone with Jesus.
- Read one story from the Gospels—reread it to relive it.
- #2—The Ask:
- "Please baptize me with the same Holy Spirit that baptized Jesus in the story I just read."
- "Morning by morning [Jesus] communicated with His Father in heaven, receiving from Him daily a fresh baptism of the Holy Spirit." (Signs of the Times November 21, 1895).
- #3—The Thank-you:
- “Thank you for the fresh baptism I’ve received from you today.”
- 1 John 5:14-15—"This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. And if we know that He hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of Him."
- #4—The Go:
- Proverbs 3:6 Message: "Listen for God’s voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He’s the one who will keep you on track."
- Move into the world with your Friend the Holy Spirit.
- Download the free book: www.steps-to-personal-revival.info
- #1—The Set-up:
"And with that He breathed on them and said,
'Receive the Holy Spirit.'" (John 20:22)
Christmas Eve at PMC: The Gift. The Christmas story of God's gift to humanity, for all ages.
December 15, 5:00 PM
Location: PMC Sanctuary
Start the New Year right! Come and enjoy PMC’s 10 Days of Prayer from January 1-10 in the Youngberg home, 4731 Greenfield Drive in Berrien Springs, MI. This is the 29th consecutive year. Each session begins at 6:00 PM. We will be praying for your requests and for an abundant outpouring of the Latter Rain. There will be special handouts for attendees each session. Bring your Bible.
The topics are:
- Jan. 1 “For Such a Time as This”
- Jan. 2 “My Sheep Hear My Voice”
- Jan. 3 “Faith is the Victory”
- Jan. 4 “His Name Shall Be Called WONDERFUL”
- Jan. 5 “Toning up my Flabby Spiritual Muscles”
- Jan. 6 “Snacking on Spiritual Food or Enjoying a Full Course Meal?”
- Jan. 7 “Exceedingly Abundantly Above All that We ASK or Think”
- Jan. 8 “And the Earth Was Illuminated with His Glory”
- Jan. 9 “These Follow the Lamb Wherever He Goes”
- Jan. 10 “You Are My Hiding Place”
January 1-10, 6:00 PM
Location: 4731 Greenfield Drive, Berrien Springs, MI
On behalf of the thirteen churches in southwestern Michigan, we’re delighted to host Pavel Goia, editor Ministry magazine and international prayer conference speaker, on Sabbath, January 5, 2019. Pastor Goia was featured significantly in Ron Clouzet’s Adventism’s Greatest Need because of a resurrection he and his wife sought and received from God. A man of bold prayer and intercession, Pastor Pavel is the right preacher to lead us into an uncertain New Year globally, nationally and even locally. He will preach in both the 9:00 AM and 11:45 AM services at Pioneer, and in between will preach in the Berrien Springs Spanish Church (10:30 AM). An afternoon district-wide prayer conference will follow here at Pioneer (3:00 PM). Mark your calendar, and let us discover how to make collective prayer our high priority in 2019.
January 5, 9:00 AM & 11:45 AM
Location: Pioneer Memorial Church
You are invited to an evening of popular Christmas music on Saturday, December 15, at 7:00pm at the Howard Performing Arts Center on the campus of Andrews University. Join us as we bring in the holidays with a variety of well-known Christmas songs including a grand finale played by the combined musical groups.
December 15, 7:00 PM
Location: Howard Performing Arts Center
Please join us at the Howard Performing Arts Center for our annual Christmas programs. The Vocal Christmas program is 7:00 PM on December 18 and the Instrumental program is at 7:00 PM on December 19.
December 18 & 19
Location: Howard Performing Arts Center
On Sunday, December 2, 2018 Dwight K. Nelson, Lead Pastor at Pioneer Memorial Church, took the pastoral team and their families on a Christmas excursion. Following a delightful meal, they headed to a nearby ice skating rink. The team is thankful for the time together!
Seasons cheer was in the crisp, cool air as the pastor's kids and the rest of the team circled around the rink. A few huddled on the sidelines while laughing, taking pictures, and waving through the merry gang of PMC skaters. Almost an hour after getting on the ice, Pastor Nelson incurred an injury to his right hip and right shoulder. Everyone is thankful that he did not hit his head on the ice.
The staff from the arena responded professionally, assessing the situation and calling for the paramedics. They even responded warmly to the suggestion from one of the other pastors. That suggestion was that along with the paramedics, they include a local marching band to escort him to a local hospital where he would get x-rays taken. (unfortunately, they were not available). On arriving at the hospital, they were received and attended with great care. Thank you to all who work in medical services for the professionalism and attentiveness you offer your patients.
As of December 3, Pastor Dwight went through his first successful surgery for his hip, and on December 5 he is scheduled to go into surgery again to attend to his shoulder. During this season we are reminded of many things, but today we are thankful that even through the disruptions this life brings God is watching over us. He is the Lead Physician and the Loving Shepherd.
We welcome your prayers and cards. We have set up a CaringBridge site (www.caringbridge.org/visit/dwightnelson) to read updates as they are made available and for you to leave your words of encouragement (we are not setting up a donation portal through CaringBridge). At the present time, we are asking for no-one to visit so that Pastor Dwight can have the necessary rest and recovery important in these early days post surgery. If you have care packages or cards, please feel free to deliver them to the church office. The pastoral staff will ensure they are delivered.
The Honduras mission team needs a used violin and children's recorders (or funds to buy some) for the children's home in Honduras. We want to share the joy of music with these precious children.
Contact: Glenn Russell - email@example.com
The funeral dinner team needs additional helpers to bring food and/or work in the kitchen. If you would like to assist in this way, please contact Pat Erhard at (260) 471-7366 or the church office at (269) 471-6565.